I Cried the Whole Way Home/I Cried After You Left
I cried the whole way home
because when I enthusiastically stated
that my parents really wanted to meet you
you looked as if you were choking on something
I cried the whole way home
because I couldn't understand what I had said wrong
and I couldn't understand why you weren't speaking
Why you would rather take a sip of your water
than explain what you meant.
I cried the whole way home
because I heard what you were thinking
even though you didn't say it
your body language expressed discomfort and disgust.
I cried the whole way home
because when you said, "I'm not ready for that."
What you really meant was, "I'm not ready to see you as human."
I cried the whole way home
because when you said, "My relationship is here," and pointed at your mother
What you really meant was, "You're not family, and never will be."
I cried the whole way home
because I let myself care about you
because I thought of you as family
because it hurt more than being called faggot by a stranger on the street.
That's why I cried the whole way home.
I cried after you left
because I'm trying really hard to accept you
because you're important to my Mom.
I cried after you left
because it was a really big step for me
to teach my daughter to call you G-Ma
But you're really pushy
and you won't drop it
I cried after you left
because I spoke the truth, "I'm not ready for that."
and I could tell my Mom was disappointed
I'm working so hard to rebuild the relationship
with my Mom
And I'm just starting to feel comfortable having you around
I'm not ready to meet your family, and I'm not sure why you would even ask.
That's why I cried after you left.
Monday, April 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment