The Governor vetoed AB 43, which was expected, but I'm still pissed off.
I can't help but think, "Hey, we could have gotten married on Monday, but that hypocritical bastard vetoed my marriage!"
Governor Schwarzenegger said: "I believe that all Californians are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their sexual orientation."
Oh, What the Fuck Ever. I should not be discriminated against based upon my sexual orientation, huh? Then why the hell can't I be married? There is NO legitimate reason for denying my partner and I Civil Marriage.
IN FACT, it's unconstitutional to deny it to us! Equal Protection under the law? It's quite clear to people who PAY ATTENTION that domestic partnerships are not equal to marriage. Aside from having NO access to the over 1,138 Federal Rights and Responsibilities of marriage, Domestic Partnership does not carry the same respect as marriage does. I have to constantly explain to people that they are supposed to treat my Domestic Partnership the same as they would treat a marriage. I have friends whose employers feel they do not have to comply with California's Domestic Partnership law in providing equal benefits to their employees in a same-sex relationship because they are either "self-insured" or their corporate headquarters are located outside the State of California.
If Domestic Partnership is "the same" as marriage, then why were there so many loop-holes written into the law? If it is "equal" then why is it legal for them to ignore our rights and treat us differently?
-Beth
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment