Saturday, June 11, 2005

The United Church of Christ General Synod


My pastor sent me the UCC newsletter which had an article in it explaining that the UCC General Synod will address the issue of blessing gay marriage. Apparently there are three resolutions that will be presented to the General Assembly. One is in support of full marriage equality. The other is in support of marriage between one man and one woman. The third is a request that they wait and pray and have time to think about it. They described the vote as being potentially divisive.

Wow, umm... I thought the issue had been resolved already. Silly me. My girlfriend told me that the church was "Open and Affirming." Now I realize that it is just our small congregation that is open and affirming and other various churchs. I had no idea that the UCC as a whole had not decided on the issue.

I stopped going to the United Methodist Church because of their horrible decision to deny ordination to openly gay clergy. I felt totally betrayed by them, and that betrayal led to years of feeling like I had been backstabbed by "God's Frozen People". I declared myself Agnostic and made it my mission to counter Christian dogma with all my heart and soul. I was pretty good at it to.

Only recently have I felt like it is okay to go to church. I started going to College Avenue Congregational Church in January. I became a member in May.

I don't know what I'm going to do if the General Synod decides that they will define marriage as being between a man and a woman only. I think that will affect me detrimentally in that I will feel like I have been backstabbed again! I don't know what to think.

It was foolish of me to assume that the UCC had already addressed the question of gay unions. I see now that I was wrong and that it was premature of me to join the church. My girlfriend says we have to change the church from within.

I just feel like it's not my job to sort people out.

-Beth

No comments: