Sunday, July 09, 2006

Quizno's owner PROUD SPONSOR of FOCUS ON THE FAMILY RADIO SHOW!


After watching an Inconvenient Truth at the State Theatre, Cynthia and
I decided to grab a bite to eat before going home. On our way out of
the downtown area, we stopped to get a sandwich at a Quizno's in the
Lincoln Center at 1801 H St., in Modesto.

I wasn't paying attention when I walked in, but Cynthia noticed the
sign posted in their window which announced that they are a "Proud
Sponsor of the Focus on the Family Radio show hosted by Dr. James
Dobson." Cynthia called me back and told me to look at the sign. We
looked at eachother with raised eyebrows as if we both were thinking,
"Let's go somewhere else." I decided to ask the owner of the store,
who was standing at the cash register, why he had the sign in his window.

The conversation went like this:

"Hi, welcome to Quizno's how can I help you," said the owner.

"Hi, we were coming in here to eat, but noticed the sign in your
window. What's that about?" I asked.

"Oh, well we are proud sponsors of Focus on the Family," he replied.

"Oh, really, because that organization [Focus on the Family] really
hates gay people," I said and then pointed to myself and Cynthia.

"Well, they stand for a lot of things that I believe in, you know. And
, I believe in the family," he said.

"So do we," Cynthia and I said in unison.

"And, you know, I'm a Christian," he countered.

"So are we," we both said in unison.

"Well, you know, you're coming in here arguing..." he trailed off.

"Actually, we were just customers coming in here to get something to
eat, and we noticed the sign on the door, so we thought we'd ask you
about it, because they really really don't like us," I said.

"Well, I don't hate gay people," he said.

[pregnant pause]

"We're going to eat somewhere else," I said.
"Yeah, have a good day," Cynthia said.

[pause][pause]

"God Bless You!" he said as we were walking out the door.

So t! here you have it. Reminds me of the time I walked out of the
tattoo/pierce shop "Still Smoking." While I was browsing the
clothing rack, which was full of "Straight Pride" tee-shirts, I was
subjected to the foul mouth of the tattoo/pierce artist, who decided to use
the word "fag" 20+ times while loudly talking to his friend, "Dude
You are such a f*&#ing fag," "Whatever faggot", etc.. etc.. ad nauseum.
When I called him on it and said that I found that word to be extremely
offensive, he said, "Well do you see what kind of business you're in?"

My thought and answer to both of these situations is, "Yeah, the kind
that I don't spend money in."

-Beth

p.s. Just in case you don't know why Focus on the Family is such a big
deal, check out what they think of the gay "lifestyle," and how parents can
help their children who are "struggling" with "unhealthy" same-sex attractions
at http://www.troubledwith.com

No comments: