Yesterday was not a good day for my mental health.
The California Supreme Court was hearing oral arguments in the Prop 8 case, but I was not able to be there. I wanted to be with my friends and multitudes of supportive people, listening to speeches and sermons that affirm my dignity and worth as a human being, but I was stuck not knowing what was happening, and surrounded by people with only lukewarm support for my cause, including one person who voted Yes on Prop 8, but "[doesn't] judge me as a person." Mmm Hmm. I feel the love.
I think that Prop 8 has challenged me in ways that I never expected. I pretty much lost it after it passed, crying pretty much all day the day after, crying after anyone mentioned the election, and crying myself to sleep at night.
It makes me want to puke, literally, when Yes on 8ers politely explain to me that they don't hate me, "No, I don't hate you. I don't judge you. I just believe in The Bible." Their double-speak would make Big Brother proud.
I don't know what to think about yesterday's court hearing. I think that they absolutely have a responsibility to protect the rights of gays and lesbians. But I think without question, they will renege this duty, and instead will pander to the popular bigotry of today.
-Beth
Friday, March 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment